To help you decide whether a financial advisor is qualified to give you the help you need, ask questions like the ones below. Take notes and compare the responses of the different advisors you meet.
1. What is your education and professional experience?
2. How long has your firm been in business?
3. How long have you been with the firm?
4. Are you and your firm registered with a securities regulator?
5. What products and services do you offer?
6. How will you help me reach my goals?
7. How are you paid for your services (salary, commission or flat fee)?
8. How often will we meet? How else will you keep me informed?
9. Can you give me references from clients who are like me?